Transferable skills – those you carry with you and enhance from job to job – look the same as any skill when seen in a list…. But employers and applicants can unleash the power of these skills by seeking and sharing clear evidence of how they have been used effectively.
- Instead of looking for specific titles or job-responsibilities on applicant resumes, wise managers look for core skills that can be reapplied to amazingly transform a new-hire into a high performing employee.
- Experienced interviewers are never spellbound by those lists of skills; they use the magic of behavioral questioning to peek behind the curtain.
- Learning effort is mysteriously enhanced when development plans include skills that are used in the employee’s current work and will also be key in their next, targeted job.
- Savvy leaders engage employees in developing skills that strengthen current performance and can be transformed into career stepping stones.
- Job seekers charm recruiters by offering clear descriptions of how transferable skills were used to convert basic tasks & expectations into results & revenue.
- Training that conjures the vision of career application looks nothing like skill-building required to meet job expectations.
Examples of UNLEASHING THE POWER
Transferable Skill: Performance Coaching
Enhanced Description: Consistently use applicable coaching methods to ensure employees perform skills accurately and overcome challenges that deter skill-effectiveness needed to meet highest performance expectations. [Expand on real-life examples and description of methods.]
Transferable Skill: Project Management
Enhanced Description: Lead projects using standard tracking and project practices that ensure critical escalations and completions while inspiring effective communication and buy-in between stakeholders, hand-off partners and end-users. [Expand on professional terminology and tools and how you have overcome project-obstacles by gaining buy-in.]
Transferable Skill: Work well with difficult people
Enhanced Description: Increased my results by building the trust and confidence of people who are not my direct reports and of those who were, at first, hesitant to accept my responsibility or competence. [Expand on tactics used to change doubt to support.]
Transferable Skill: Customer Service
Enhanced Description: Respectfully manage customer emotion and transition consistently to up-selling that meets identified customer needs while balancing requested marketing priorities. [Expand with an example of when all three needs were met.]
Transferable Skill: Proof Reading
Enhanced Description: Edit copy that is consistently approved as clear and understandable, with correct grammar, spelling and punctuation, and audience-relevant. [Expand on your methods.]
Transform transferable skills into your own career magic. If you need help finding engaging and creative ways to include skill-building in development plans, we can help!
Find more of what you need by opening our BOX of BLOGS from 2017